I can't even begin to imagine what life has been like for the past few weeks for all of you. I know you have all been going insane with worry, and after finally accepting the loss of this blog, spent hours and hours (in vein, might I add) finding something that comes close to being as gripping, exciting and interesting as my once-regular updates. I'm certain you all missed how I manage to talk for hours on end about life, the universe and not-very-much-in-particular.
Well... I have some exceptionally good news for you all. I'm back. I'm moved (by about a mile north) but I'm back, and have regained my position in front of the keyboard, and have a backlog of thrilling topics to write about. First, though, let me tell you all about my move.
It's actually quite sad when you go to bed for that last night in the room that was your first away from home. Having flown the next I was, like most, apprehensive about the people I might meet in University accommodation, but in fact I was lucky. Lucky because everyone I lived with (both those in 7/1 and 7/9 I refer to) were simply adorable. I had many a good night. I've laughed and cried with everyone and shared some rather wonderful stories, some probably not quite suitable for the caliber of this weblog. Naturally, leaving was always going to be an emotional experience, seeing as my life in and around that room was changed whilst living there. I have to admit that until the night before I left, I didn't think I would be affected in any way leaving Robertson's Close, but I was. Seeing all of those boxes packed up and ready to go is
hard. Seeing those bare walls acts almost as a reminder to keep your friends close. As life can be so entirely bare without them.So now I'm in my wonderful new flat with some dear friends who just 9 months ago were mere strangers. It's wonderful how such an intense atmosphere can bring people together, and form relationships of the quality and strength that are seen more regularly with friends of years. Nonetheless, my new flat at 30A Montgomery Street couldn't be any more perfect*. Already friendships have strengthened and in some cases been created from scratch, much like those of nine months ago (of course I refer here to the new addition to out flat). Despite all of the fun and games, last night we (or rather Lottie) had one slightly frightening experience. Her window was broken.
Now, we are not entirely sure what happened here. Lottie claims that she cannot remember exactly what happened either, but thinks there is a chance that she might have accidentally smashed it in her sleep. The only other realistic explanation is that someone tried to break in, or was playing the fool and threw something at the window. The things that confuses me, is that surely to merely crack the window, that is for it not to fully break through, you would need to apply a fairly specific force. It seems unlikely that an object thrown from the street, or even Lottie's stray elbow as she moved in a slumber, would have such a specific force on the window to do this type of damage. Either way, we should find out tomorrow when the glaziers come to fix everything up. Needless to say, it's a slightly worrying turn of events.
* Not strictly true. When we first moved in we had a broken dishwasher, clogged up washing machine and very few working doorknobs. Thankfully most of these issues are now resolved.

3 comments:
Hey Dunc - glad you're back to virtual reality - missed reading about your adventures! I hope Montgomery Street will be really great.
what a horrifying experience... im surprised im still here to tell the tale. thank you for making me sound like an idiot... "lottie thinks she may have accidentally smashed it in her sleep" (with her steel elbows).
tra la la, all part of the ups and downs of life's rich tapestry, etc etc - glad you had a good time at the zoo. i love your blog. i am your number one fan, dude.
Update! Update! I need my fix!
Post a Comment